Thread: Hickory golf
View Single Post

Old 02-05-2020, 10:34 AM

See you reference the Berkshires, went to Cranwell in Lenox a 'few' years ago... Will be at Greenfield Country Club in May for the Massachusetts Hickory Open.
My approach is; golf is not just about the numbers/score, (they do count to an extent), but more the challenges be they the course, or the clubs. Best analogy is you don't want to eat chicken or steak every night, so a change in the approach is welcome. Do not mistake the chance to score with the vintage clubs, my last couple of rounds before heading back up were 79-83 with hickories off blue white tees at Orange Blossom and Hacienda. I'll take those numbers at 70 any day. Hickories require you to be creative and do many things with the same club. Have used modern balls since demise of Titleist tour balatas, only 3 broken shafts (each had defect), now use Pro V1 and Wilson Staff Duo Spin. Regardless of equipment, you have to get the face square at impact, that is the challenge. Remember, "Golf is a game that can't be won, only played..." alternately, Remember the most important part of the follow-through is the laugh.