View Single Post

Old 02-10-2020, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I have never heard of the term "prog rock", but I googled it and Jethro Tull, ELO, ELP, and Yes all came up in my search. All bands I like a lot, other bands I don't really know or never listened to also came up. But I can say that any band that plays Tull or ELO in the squares would definitely get my attention.
Since the Hooligans from Orlando started playing, I go to the squares when are here, they all British Rock except time before they did Free Bird and the crowd at Brownwood went crazy, so they played it again.

The Villages Florida

Hooligans fans often wear their T-shirts to the shows, I got mine.

The Villages Florida

My previous favorite is Uncle Bob's Rock Shop, they been here about ten years but their set is getting a little stale. Last time I saw them about a year go they did add two Jethro Tull songs. The bass player who can also play keyboards on his guitar, sort of the Psychedelic Furs, also now plays the flute.

I've seen Jethro Tull twice. First time was 1972, they were probably the #1 band at time and it's is still the best show I've ever seen. Second time was 1995 and ELP was the opening act, it was somewhat boring. Ian Anderson lost some of that magic, I guess age will do that.

The Villages Florida

The closest you'll see around here to anything jamming, will be the tribute bands. Classic Rock Shows comes 2 or 3 times a year and plays an entire album followed by the hits. They're doing Fleetwood Mac coming up soon. I saw them do Pink Floyd last year, really good.

Orange Blossom Opry is a sort of country music hall on Rt 42 in Weirsdale. They have some rock, Marshall Tucker was there two Saturday's ago. Most of the stuff is the same as TV, oldies in pop and country, but keep your eye on the place.

I happen to catch the Allman Brothers in 1969 at a bar in St. Petersburg. At the time they hadn't released their debut album and I was blown away. Two drummers, blonde hair guy on a red guitar and the keyboard player singing. I never forgot that show. It was at a club called The Electric Zoo, which is long gone.