View Single Post

Old 02-11-2020, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I see these have rechargeable batteries - but even those have to be replaced once in awhile - eventually they cease to hold a charge. Are the batteries in this brand replaceable? Can they be replaced by the user or do they have to be brought somewhere for servicing? What kind of batteries do they use?

Also how is the phenomenon of chronic wax buildup addressed? Do they stop working when wax starts plugging it up, or do you get some kind of little tone telling you that it needs to be cleared? I have hearing aids that use those little wax shields, but they get clogged as well and my aids shut themselves off when they're clogged. That means they function as ear-plugs, until I can take them out of my ears, clean them, swap out for a new set of wax guards, and put them back in. When you work retail - this is not something you can do, at all, during work. So I don't wear any hearing aids at work. It's also a huge inconvenience any other time (and scary-distracting if you're driving in traffic when all of a sudden you are almost completely deaf) so I don't wear them anywhere at all, anymore.

Definitely looking for devices I can wear in my ears, not over them since I wear glasses and have very small ears (I can wear glasses OR hearing aides over my ears - not both)
Regarding wax. I have the over ear Phonak hearing aid, with the soft rubber? coned inserts. I have only had to replace the wax guard and insert once in the last year.
It is really a case of where the wax guard is located in the ear insert.
If it is in the front of the ear insert they do clog quickly.
If behind the insert they seldom clog.
I also wear glasses, and have no problem with over the ear.