View Single Post

Old 11-05-2008, 01:19 PM
n/a

Talk host,
That is a very good, easy to understand rule.

I enjoy this forum, but agree with some that the political forum, IMHO, was allowed to get too personal and nasty. It looked like in some cases it hurt friendships and people who in many cases are neighbors.

I am a moderator on a very large forum. I constantly have to remind posters to discuss ideas, viewpoints, etc respectfully WITHOUT being disrespectful to divergent views. On that forum, I have to sadly delete posts, ban posters, etc, all with the goal of keeping a healthy forum....weeding the garden so the flowers can grow, so to speak. It is a tough responsibility, not a power trip as some may think.

Usually great debates, controversies, etc, are just that because each side has some valid points, and we must strive to at least understand both sides, even when only agreeing with one. When we stoop to personal attacks, it just weakens our views, and does no good whatsoever. If one's viewpoint has any credence, it should be able to withstand debate and healthy discussion.

I agree with all those here who say, "Let's move on", but perhaps we do better for this forum by also learning some lessons here........

Afterall, most of us picked up, (or plan on) picking up our whole lives and at great expense decided on building a whole new life in paradise for the rest of our days......why would we do that, only to risk hurting the dream by making enemies instead of friends...??

Frank D.