View Single Post

Old 02-12-2020, 02:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Let's be clear about what is meant by "infrastructure"

The issue is the roads, which will eventually be turned over to the county. There is some ambiguity over who initially pays for the roads, and how they are turned over, and what the specific deal REALLY is.

The rest of the infrastructure in TV is paid by the homeowner in the form of the "bond"

The county will maintain these roads and own them. That is why TV is not a truly gated community, you cannot deny use of county roads by the public. The water, sewer, MMPs, electricity are all paid for by the homeowner in their bond.

So the issue comes back to the question: should ALL homeowners in Sumter County pay for roads that "are of no benefit to them"? Previous posts have listed the benefits to all in the form of an improved economy, more jobs, and even free entertainment at the town squares. For a long time , Sumter County was the poorest county in Florida out of 67, now it ranks 15th---quite a benefit!
Previously I posted a list of thing we taxpayers bear the cost of yet derive no benefit: School taxes for childless couples, cell phone surcharges, welfare, food stamp and Medicaid to name a few. We are constantly paying for these things in both obvious and subtle taxes and fees.
Are the developers getting some kind of financial benefit from the road deal---I don't know, but I couldn't care less. They've built a very special place, have run their business very well, and as a result, they are "ultra-rich" WHO CARES. There seem to be a lot of posters that are jealous of their success, or feel that they are owed something from "the rich". NO, YOU AREN'T!!!!!
This post absolutely misses the point.

The Developer is responsible for the need for the new roads and should be paying for them through an increase in his sweetheart impact fee. He should also be paying for other infrastructure (like libraries, fire, and police stations, related equipment) the way he would say in Collier County, where he would be paying $20,000/house or more than 20 times more than he pays here.

Who makes up for the lost impact-fee revenue? You, I, and the other Sumter County taxpayers do. In reality, the tax increase is going into the Developer's pocket, right beside his County Commissioners.