View Single Post

Old 02-13-2020, 09:59 AM
Default Termiteguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
Massey estimate for their termite prevention is costly. If you include both types of termites it's higher. Plus additional yearly fee.
Do we really need this? How often do the houses here get attacked by termites? Our home is stucco built with cinder block.
Are there other companies that offer this at a better price?
Having owned a termite treating company for 30+ years back in Texas, I feel more than qualified to answer your questions.
First off - no, you do NOT need a termite company to come to your house and inspect for termites. Back in Texas, all of the termite companies that were competition to my business inspected houses for FREE. We figured that cost as just part of doing business. AND - if someone was ever told they had termites, all it took was a few more phone calls to those free inspection companies to confirm that active termites were present. Upon confirming live termites, start phoning again to obtain bids for the job. Someone here mentioned tenting a home. That is incorrect!!! ONLY a tent is needed if the infestation of termites (or powder post beetles) has gotten so bad, it is the only option. And normally, it is only the Formosan termite that is needed to be eliminated by using a tent treatment. Getting termites so bad that a tent is needed will take years and you will certainly be aware you have termites - it won't be a surprise. There are too many ways for termite companies to scare people into purchasing services they do not need!! And if a termite treating company ever suggest to you that you need these so called "baits" installed around your home....tell that company to hit the road !!! So my suggestion is to phone 3 companies that will come over and inspect your home for FREE. If one of them says they found termites, have them show you photos and then call two more companies. Do not tell any of the companies you have phoned others - see if any of the others find termites and if it is in the same location. Hope this helps and good luck!.