View Single Post

Old 02-14-2020, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
I just learned recently that the total property tax on the two homes that I own in TV is going up $4500 per year. My current residence is a larger home on a golf course and the other is a smaller property that my wife's mother lives in. I came here eight years ago from the highest property tax county and richest in the Atlanta area. Rate hikes like this would have been phased in over three to five years. I think there was either poor planning by the board or some arm twisting involved. If you don't l like this you can vote (I think two of them) out in the Fall. I was very upset about the increased amount till I thought about the fact that TV is a very unique place owned by a family that has enough pull to get a bridge built across a State turnpike. It is what it is. The down side is that the additional taxed amount will not be spent in businesses that are here and ones that are planning to come here since the majority here are on fixed incomes for the most part. But the upside is that the State of FL does not have a State income tax like most other States. So, if you can afford to live here at over 72 then there is probably no where else as safe and clean and with as many amenities as you will find here. Just my thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I would double check those numbers if I were you. I own a large house on a championship course and my taxes went up $534, so it is unlikely that the two properties you described went up $4500. Check your assessment to see if it went up, especially if the large house is new---the assessment for the previous year might have been for undeveloped land
Actually you REALLY need to recheck those numbers. The county tax millage rate went from 5.3365 to 6.700 (a 23.8% increase). This is a difference of 1.3635, so a $4,500 increase in your tax implies that your two properties are assessed at 4500/.0013635=$3,300,300, which seems highly unlikely