View Single Post

Old 02-14-2020, 01:59 PM
Veteran member

My old cart would go 30 but I never go passed 21 on the street. My new one is set at 24 but I only do that on the trail. I talked to a Sumter deputy one day at Subway and he said they would give you to 23 going down hill on a street but on flat ground they will stop you at 21. He said the only jurisdiction they have on the golf trails is for reckless behavior or operating a golf cart with open container or DUI. The total fine is $450 including court cost and you have to certify that your cart has been set at 20 to the judge. Some snowbirds or others just don't care and they blow passed you on the street. It is actually against the law to pass another cart on the street and they can ticket you for that also. People do not realize how easy a cart will flip over if you stop quickly. I was riding my bike going North on the trail by Morse and just before the Havana tunnel there is a hill before you make the left turn into the tunnel. A cart behind me did not see me turning left and slammed on his brakes and flipped over on the driver side before the tunnel. We helped him turn his cart upright, gather his clubs etc.. He only had a scrape on his arm and he said "I have to go, I have a T Time." Still don't know how you turn over a cart on the driver side and not be injured greatly.

Last edited by TimeForChange; 02-14-2020 at 02:06 PM.