View Single Post

Old 02-15-2020, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
We had a cat up north who loved being outside. We lived in the country, and he could roam, catch mice, stalk birds, and do the normal cat-like thing. I think it is cruel to keep cats inside, they are not as happy and it is against their nature. We only let him out during the day. He was in at night so the risk from predators was small. We lived in an area with little traffic, and he knew to stay out of the road, so it wasn't an issue. I would probably not let a cat roam free in The Villages. There are pesticides sprayed which the cat might ingest. Traffic is an issue. And cranky neighbors judging from the comments on this board.
I'm not a cranky neighbor. I'm a neighbor who has had property destroyed as a result of a cat whose owner has chosen to disregard the county ordinance. In addition, domestic cats do not belong outside. They're at risk of predators, pesticides, insecticides, fleas, disease, turf-wars with other cats whose owners have no regard for their pet's safety, traffic. And their owners are at risk of insurance claims (or lawsuits) against them if their cat is -caught- picking a fight on someone else's property that results in property damage. Both are at risk of losing the cat permanently to the humane society or a shelter for re-homing, once it's determined that the owner intentionally and purposefully allowed their pet to be outside.

Anyone who thinks that a domestic animal *should* be an outdoors animal - does not deserve to have a cat.