Thread: Solar Panel
View Single Post

Old 02-15-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo120 View Post
First of all, talk to your neighbor. I installed solar in 2019 with 30% tax credit and this year I believe the credit is 28% but check that.

Also not sure how you calculated: I used the best panasonic panels, Enphase inverters, and 25 year warrenty on parts, labor and roof penetration from a qualified Panasonic installer. My payback is just short of 10 years based on paying cash and current electric pricing. My roof was replaced in 2016 as part of the Shingle Defect Program that year in The Villages. Paying on credit really increases your cost.
Realistically, the only thing that make solar panels economically viable is the federal tax credit. Here are some other things to consider. 1. The condition of your roof supporting the panels. The poster here (Jimbo) had his roof recently replace. 2. Photo-voltaic panels lose efficiency with time, somewhere between 1 to 2% per year. So after 25 years their efficiency could be about 45% lower than when new. 3. You have to keep them clean or they lose efficiency. 4. No one ever seems to address end-of-life disposal and the associated costs (same problem with wind turbines). PV panels contain heavy metals, which mostly come from China by the way, so you can't just throw them in a dump. Food for thought.