Thread: Solar Panel
View Single Post

Old 02-15-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaHB View Post
We installed solar panels on our house in Key Largo in 2018. As soon as it was active, we started getting credits on our electric bill each month instead of paying (averaged at least $200 in that all-electric house that needs A/C year-round). Now we're selling that house to be full time in The Villages, so unless we make the balance back in the sale, no, we won't get our investment back. But I'm okay with that. When I was arguing with my hubby about putting in the solar, he was in the process of buying a boat...that coincidentally cost roughly what the solar panels did. I said he could consider the solar "my boat," since it was important to me. (I want to leave a livable planet for my grandchildren, if possible!) Unlike his boat, my "boat" is paying for itself! (And now he's selling that boat, less than 3 years later, and I guarantee he won't get what he paid, especially when you factor in the $ he's put into it since buying it.) We all have different priorities and dying with the most money possible isn't one of mine. <shrug>
Brenda: The further south you live, the more home solar panels start to make sense. But you are kidding yourself if you think you are doing great things for the environment. Besides, Silicon photo voltaic panels contain heavy metals, much of which comes from open pit strip mines in China. Also, after their 20 to 30 year(if you're lucky) lifespan how are you going to recycle them such that you don't create an environmental hazard by just throwing them in a dump? There are ways to do it but expensive! The dirty little secret of solar panels.

Last edited by Win1894; 02-15-2020 at 04:49 PM.