View Single Post

Old 02-17-2020, 10:51 AM
Default Series wiring vs. parallel wiring....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
I also thought I should have a humidistat for the summers when we go back to Michigan and had one installed. When I tried to use it, however, I found that the AC would only run if the humidity got above the set level. But the AC would NOT run if the temperature in the house got over the thermostat setting. I had thought the AC would run if either the thermostat OR humidistat settings reach, but I found out it wasn't.

So now, I just leave the humidistat to ON (i.e. not engaged), and rely on the thermostat to trigger the AC when the temp in the house is over 80 degrees. I'm sure some of the newer humidistat will turn on the AC if either condition is met, but just to let you know what to look for if you decide to have one installed.
Thanks for your reply. In my "online investigation" it appears that you can have your humidistat wired in series or in parallel. When wired in series, both your thermostat and humidistat must be asking for service for your AC to turn on. If wired in parallel, then if either ask for the AC to turn on (by either temp or humidity) then your AC will turn on. I believe it is easy to change the wiring, and it sounds like this might be what you are after. Hope this is useful to you.