View Single Post

Old 02-19-2020, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,508 Times in 3,104 Posts

I participate in product marketing research. I do surveys, and I get chosen to be a "lab rat" for various stuff. Facial moisturizer, toothbrushes, coffeemakers, snacks, etc. In exchange for the products which I get to keep (and sometimes get coupons for more if they're consumables), I agree to post a review on Amazon or Facebook or submit it blind and if it's good it gets put on the manufacturer's website. The difference between the example in the posts above, and my experience, is that the companies I work with require an HONEST opinion - whether good or bad. And in great detail. If I have problems with a product, they need to know so they can improve it before releasing it to the public. If enough people have bad experiences with it, they'll scrap the product entirely and it won't get released at all.

But of course if it's all good, and they're able to make any necessary tweaks to the product based on feedback, they will use our positive reviews to promote the product.

I also do mystery shops, which gets me free food or groceries, -and- a modest payment for my troubles. I could do a tax preparation mystery shop for $400 (which would be applied to fees for the tax preparation, or any payment owed to the IRS) but we do our taxes ourselves.

In the internet world, this is known as being an "influenster." I would never sell 5-star reviews. But I do sell my opinion, for better or for worse. I'm an "official" Google Reviewer, Amazon Reviewer, and I've had reviews published by HP, Keurig, OralB, Febreze, and a bunch of others over the years.