View Single Post

Old 02-19-2020, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I'm not a Nascar guy but watch the big races when possible. Look how far safety has advanced since the day Dale Sr. passed. It is truly amazing that this man survived this crash and I'm sure glad he did.

I had been noticing that before this big accident that all the other accidents somehow the cars managed to stay on the ground. As soon as any car turned sideways flaps opened all over the car and I guess the aerodynamics kept the cars grounded. I like it.

I just found this explanation on Google.
A race car's body is designed to optimize downforce, but if that body is spun so air is flowing in reverse, lift is generated instead of countered. The roof flaps' job is to disrupt that airflow and prevent lift. The decision to implement a safety device to keep cars on the ground came after two crashes in 1993.

Thank God that man walked out of the Hospital. 2nd worst racing accident I ever saw.

The worst one ever seen while we were there was Kalitta Killed in Funny Car Qualifier - YouTube Scott Kalitta. We enjoyed Raceway Park in Englishtown N.J. a whole lot but this accident soured us.

These Men & Women are smart, very smart and know the risk. How will Ryan Newman get back in a Race-car? If he does I give him credit. I don't agree with his decision but still give him credit.