View Single Post

Old 02-21-2020, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

In order to know which AV is servicing your system you need to check your system settings. There are a number of ways to access this, here's how I do it:

1) Using your search feature (the little magnifying glass icon on the lower left of your screen next to the "windows" icon), type in "windows security." You'll have 2 different places available to choose, then: apps, or web. You want apps, and OPEN.

2) Then, click on "Virus & threat protection" on the left side of the window that opens up.

It'll give you a run-down of which products are actively protecting your system.

2a*) (*optional) You can change those settings at the bottom of the list, by clicking on "Windows Defender Antivirus options."

I've been using Kaspersky for a number of years (the media hype against it is mostly concerning the federal government websites - unless you're dealing with top secret national/international information, your computer is 100% NOT at risk from Kaspersky and it's actually a very good product). Turns out though that Microsoft has improved on their own security suite to the point where I'm willing to let Defender run once my Kaspersky subscription expires next month.

I haven't allowed Windows to control my computer's security since Win95. It's a big leap but every geek I talk to, even my Unix pals, tell me Windows Defender is a good choice for the current incarnation of Windows.