View Single Post

Old 02-22-2020, 08:17 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

I've read that 900 people a day move to Florida and guess what, you and your spouse are two of them and the wife and I make two more. Looks like we're part of the problem. Where are these 900 people a day supposed to live? I guess Florida could put up border control check points and not allow nonresidents into the state. Maybe develop a waiting list that only allows a new person into the state when a Florida resident dies or moves out.

You do know that most of the land The Villages is/was built on was agricultural land not pristine untouched wilderness. Much of the original land was watermelon farms. Have you even spent any time in the lower 44 before all the development. It is/was mostly cow pastures. The Hog Eye preserve and the nature area near the Fenney rec center have all kinds of free roaming wild live. Maybe you aught to come down here and check it out. I don't want to burst you bubble but Florida isn't any worse than any other state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
This is the problem with Florida, in general. They don't have much respect or regard for nature. It has no value to them, other than "how quickly they can strip it raw it and build retirement homes on it."

It's one (of several) reasons I don't like Florida. There are some things about Florida I like. But as a whole, I don't like the state.

In some states, there are land trusts - where the trust buys up the land, and prevents development on it. The trust serves as a conservation steward to ensure that nature is allowed to exist, unimpeded by government or anyone else.

I would like to see, five generations from now, kids who grow up knowing that "lakes" don't all smell nasty, are not all filled with "reclaimed water," and that weeds are part of what makes nature beautiful. I'd like for them to not need to go to a zoo to see the last living butterfly in the state. I'd like for them to know what trees look like when they're not pruned perfectly and precisely placed in their back yard. I'd like for them to know, and experience, the sights, sounds, smells of nature. This won't happen if we continue stripping the natural environment and replacing it with plaster houses and strip-malls.

"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" is happening right here in the Villages. People older than I am, who have been living here for years already, know this song well and might even have protested against replacing nature with industry, in the 60's. The sad thing is that they're either a) not vocal here or b) have changed their minds.

Joni Mitchell and others are people I admired, growing up. It's just very sad to see that their message is obscured in the Villages - perhaps on purpose.