View Single Post

Old 02-26-2020, 07:46 AM
Default Thanks for the video

I watched the video and have a few comments

REMEMBER: HARDLY ANY CUSTOMERS ASK TO RETROFIT THERE SYSTEM WITH A DIFFERENT REFRIGERANT (MAYBE 1 IN 500)

The term "drop in refrigerant" is not correct. There are no drop in refrigerants for R22 in the US. There was for R12 but not R22. The term means that you can just add what is needed to the existing refrigerant to get the system fully charged.

100 to 200 dollars for a pound of R22? I currently charge 79 per pound. He mentions 20-30 years ago we charge 10 per pound. That was when a tank of R22 was $50. Now that it is 500 or sometimes 800 per tank doesn't mean you charge 10 or 20 times as much. Most of the cost of what we charge is the labor to install it.

He mentions of loss of efficiency. When I do a maintenace on the system I always use a computerized instuments that verifies the correct air flow, refrigerant charge and measures the exact BTU output. On alternative refrigerants I have tested the BTUS go from, as an example 36,000 BTU's to 35,400 BTU's. The standard is on a system is to be within 10% of the rated BTU's. the actual will fluctuate based on conditions inside and outside.

He mentions you have to use a piston coil. He installs Goodman which is the keast espensive systems which do not have the depth of choices that Carrier branded (Carrier, Bryant, Payne, Heil) have.

Mike

Why I'm not going to use R22 (Freon) replacements - YouTube

.[/QUOTE]