Thread: Stocks tumble
View Single Post

Old 02-27-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My broker/advisor is me. My advice to my client is to do nothing.
In "normal" times, I would agree with that self-advice. This seems quite different to me. People are freaked, and businesses worldwide are publicly stating that they won't be able to make their numbers for the foreseeable future. There's been a report that someone in CA with no apparent contact with COVID-19 carriers is now infected. That scares people.

I heard a TV-business guy say this afternoon that this precipitous percentage drop in the DOW/NASDAQ/S&P has been faster since the 1930's. That makes it quite unique. Now sure, the markets have had an unusually fast run-up since December, too. But as of this writing, I'm not seeing news relief that will assuage fears. There's too much uncertainty. And it doesn't have to be said the many retirees are not in a position to sustain high-percentage investment losses (hopefully most are conservative).

So, stay the course and wait for everything to return to normal? I took some protective action for principal preservation a while back, and have increased that this week. I've been fortunate so as not to have lost too much since the bottom's been falling out. But I have lost $$$ on paper...make no mistake about it. I just don't see this calming down right away. Everyone's situation is unique to them, of course. But unless your investments are just "play money", I'd advise doing something to at least protect some of it. Just my opinion. Good luck.