Thread: Amazon Delivery
View Single Post

Old 02-28-2020, 06:14 AM

I use Amazon a lot - like a huge portion of the shopping population, apparently. But it is coming at a cost. I do think they are going to be hit - rightly or wrongly - for anti-trust at some point. Some of the politicos have already suggested going down that road. (Of course, they would have to face their constituents, too.)

There are many jobs at risk today due to this "just get it shipped" convenience we're living in. Brick and mortar stores, malls, etc., are in peril. Many haven't been able to compete. Just the ramifications of changing technology? Perhaps. The horse and buggy owners surely learned that back in the day.

Seems a little odd, but I think the Amazon effect can also lead to people leading more solitary lives in some respects. Why leave the house? Get everything delivered.

At some point, we may all find out that we're simply living in an Amazon world, and we'll be beholden to them for all that what we want/need - at the costs they determine, while essentially being devoid of competition. Sounds over the top, I know, but are we really that far off?