View Single Post

Old 02-28-2020, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee Dubya View Post
Well at the suggestion of responders to this thread, I went to the Marion county animal center and they had two house cats and maybe 5 feral cats. AtThe Petsmart on 441 they had one cat.

Concluding that it’s nearly impossible to adopt a cat in the villages area. How sad.
Strange, I was at Petsmart on 441 yesterday around noon. There were 3 cats there. BabyGirl - who's been there for a few weeks, is 2 years old, short-haired, very cuddly, and has exquisite markings (she's a black calico). Then there was a brother and sister, but both of them were kittens. There was a 4th named Pearl, but I believe that one was adopted yesterday. The guy from the Humane Society was there to check up on them, clean their cages, take them out and play with them, etc. etc.

Here is a website showing pictures of all the cats available at the Humane Society of Lake County shelter, which is a no-kill shelter.

Humane Society of Lake County in Umatilla, Florida

Each photo has a link to the cat's description and needs, and there's a contact phone number and the address of the shelter in Umatilla.

Also according to the Marion County Animal Shelter's website and built-in search engine with easy filtering capabilities, there are four adoptable adult cats available.

I'm a little concerned that you are asking other people to do this research for you, instead of checking these sources yourself. Caring for a cat is a commitment to take responsibility for the life of a fellow creature on this planet. A google search is so easy to do and takes so little effort.

As for vetting potential adopters, this is a good thing. The shelters want to make sure that the person taking the animal will be a) a good fit, b) a responsible pet-owner, c) capable of caring for whichever pet they've chosen.

The only people who would have a problem with this vetting process, are people who are either a) a bad fit, b) irresponsible, c) incapable of caring for their pet.