View Single Post

Old 02-28-2020, 12:17 PM
Sage

I have never seen any material from The Villages that claims this is a "gated community". It is a community with gates but the roads are all county roads with the exception of the roads in the CYVs. In a true "gated community", the roads are owned and maintained by the community, not the county. The gates in The Villages are primarily for traffic flow control where the MMPs cross in front of the entrances to the various Villages. Without the gates, golf carts would be in jeopardy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Hi folks, We have been here for 8 months now, and my comment / question is; The Villages calls themselves a gated community, which technically it is. However, anyone can come through the gates, either by pressing the red button in the residents lane or going through the visitor lane. A true gated community has resident stickers with bar codes on the vehicles which allows access. I understand that when the red button is pressed a picture of the vehicle is taken, don't know if that is really true, but that does not do much to add to security. Please don't misunderstand, I don't have a problem, it just seems to me that the gates, along with the guards, don't make this a true "gated community". Further, I question the need for the gates, guards and guard shacks since they do not seem to be making anything secure. What am I missing here?