View Single Post

Old 02-29-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Hi folks, We have been here for 8 months now, and my comment / question is; The Villages calls themselves a gated community, which technically it is. However, anyone can come through the gates, either by pressing the red button in the residents lane or going through the visitor lane. A true gated community has resident stickers with bar codes on the vehicles which allows access. I understand that when the red button is pressed a picture of the vehicle is taken, don't know if that is really true, but that does not do much to add to security. Please don't misunderstand, I don't have a problem, it just seems to me that the gates, along with the guards, don't make this a true "gated community". Further, I question the need for the gates, guards and guard shacks since they do not seem to be making anything secure. What am I missing here?
It's the impression that it's a gated community that keeps is safer;also believe the gates themselves with or without personnel offers a sense of security for those who don't realize this isn't a gated community;likewise the community watch another layer of indirect security although not a police force;appears these things are working; The Villages was rated by the FBI as the safest place to live in Florida. Link follows the list.
ccording to the FBI

Metropolitan Statistical Area Crimes Per 100,000 Inhabitants
1. The Villages, FL M.S.A. 2,116
2. Punta Gorda, FL M.S.A. 2,648
3. Naples-Marco Island, FL M.S.A. 2,703
4. Port St. Lucie, FL M.S.A. 3,246
5. Homosassa Springs, FL M.S.A. 3,350
6. Cape Coral-Fort Myers, FL M.S.A. 3,414
7. Sebastian-Vero Beach, FL M.S.A. 3,480
8. Lakeland-Winter Haven, FL M.S.A. 4,123
9. North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton, FL M.S.A. 4,315
10. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL M.S.A. 4,323
11. Crestview-Fort Walton Beach-Destin, FL M.S.A. 4,509
12. Ocala, FL M.S.A. 4,980
13. Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, FL M.S.A. 5,027
14. Deltona-Daytona Beach-Ormond Beach, FL M.S.A. 5,125
15. Sebring-Avon Park, FL M.S.A. 5,236
16. Pensacola-Ferry Pass-Brent, FL M.S.A. 5,444
17. Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL M.S.A. 5,791
18. Jacksonville, FL M.S.A. 6,147
19. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL M.S.A. 6,418
20. Gainesville, FL M.S.A. 6,917
21. Panama City, FL M.S.A. 7,257
22. Tallahassee, FL M.S.A. 7,733
here's the link. Copy & paste is browser: Safest Places to Live and Retire in Florida | FloridaforBoomers.com