Thread: Cable TV
View Single Post

Old 02-29-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prntxpresn View Post
Telephone - buy OOMA on Amazon $79. Set up $75. Monthly charges $5.46 for 911 & tax. Great clarity.
You could have landline service for zero dollars a month after it is setup. This is using Google Voice, which is free nationwide unlimited service with excellent call quality. It also has tons of features like voicemail and other things, which are included with the free price.

To use Google Voice, you need an Internet connection in your home. You also need an Obihai OBi 200 or OBi 202 set top box, which costs about $35 to $70. The OBi 200 is a one line model and the Obi 202 is a two line model. You could have two free landline phone numbers using two Google Voice accounts, one for voice, the other for a fax machine or a second landline for voice calls.

If you want to transfer your existing landline telephone number to Google Voice, that is not allowed. However, you can transfer your existing landline telephone number to a cheap "burner" cellphone with that has one month of prepaid service. Then the number can be transferred from the cheap "burner" cellphone to Google Voice.

After your Google voice landlines are setup, every month is totally free! The call quality is absolutely excellent, and there is unlimited free nationwide long distance. However, the "911" locator service will not work, unless you subscribe to a "911" locator service, which costs about $20 a year.

Google Voice can also be used as a free second telephone number for your cellphone. Calls to your Google Voice landline can be answered using your cellphone, and the voicemail can be accessed from your cellphone. The voicemail can also be automatically transcribed and texted to you. This is another one of the many free extra services of Google Voice.

I was going to drop my Comcast landline service and switch to Google Voice, however, if I drop my Comcast landline, but keep my Comcast cable TV and Internet, my price increases because of my grandfathered package that I subscribed to years ago. So, I use my free Google Voice service for my fax machine and for when I sell things on Facebook Marketplace or Craig's List. I now only use Facebook Marketplace because it works 20 to 30 times better than Craig's List, and is free.