View Single Post

Old 03-02-2020, 01:01 PM

SHINE is an amazing organization! The volunteers who work there are incredibly knowledgeable. When I became eligible for Medicare, I do not believe they gave me a single incorrect statement. They have meetings in various rec centers and will spend as much time with you as you need.

Just food for thought, if you take a Part C plan, you can switch back to using a supplemental plan BUT you will be subject to underwriting and you are not guaranteed acceptance (the Affordable Care Act did not change this aspect of Medicare).

Also, be aware that premiums for a supplmental plan are based on where you live. If you receive Social Security, the address used by that organization IS your address. But, if you do not receive Social Security, then SS does not know where you live. You can sign my for a plan in any place that you have a connection...such as a winter home or summer home or temporary home. That will be the locus for your supplemental plan for the rest of your live...even if you move. Since supplemental plans (defined by the various letters) is the same wherever you live in the country, you might consider taking out a supplemental plan from the cheapest location. But, do note, supplemental plan premiums do go up from time to time.

Use SHINE, it is the single best source for walking through this mine field!