View Single Post

Old 03-03-2020, 06:10 PM

About 8-9 years ago , 1 of the women at work bought a home at Sun city Hilton Head. She was still going to be working for 3-4 more years. She said they are renting it till she retires. Telling me what a great investment it was. Soooo...that put the thought in my head. My husband and I took 2 weeks in the summer and drove from NY to Sun city Hilton head(visited with my past coworker who was now retired)and by the way, she moved from there and went somewhere else,. and then Florida and visited communities that I researched on 55 places.com and also from an ideal living showcase . We went to quite a few Del Webb communities, etc. After about 2 or 3 communities, I started telling the realtors, show me the life style first,and then I'll chose a house that I like. The next summer we drove again hitting a lot of communities on the East coast, crossing over to the West Coast and making our way up. We visited Solivita,other Dell Webbs, Sun City by Tampa, etc. I must of visited over 30+ communities. Did the stay and play at some.Before our last stop to the Villages before heading home we looked at On top of the World . I thought I liked their version of their tiny town square. But I was looking for more. Solivita was nice(still no comparison to TV)but didn't know TV yet. Our last stop was The Villages. Had a realtor take us around showing us all the amenities the town squares (only two at tht time)and the life style.I was in ore! THEN, showed me some possibilities for purchase. Our biggest concern at the time was if we would be able to rent it for the next 7 or 8 years till we retire. She was so positive and non pushy, and even told us to think about it and next time come back for another visit. Well, we thought about it that night staying at the Marriot in Spanish Springs, and there was an excitement in us about the community and I knew this is the place! With that being said, not only did I find a long term tenant who is still there today but we wound up purchasing another a few years later for investment. Over the years I come down to TV bringing family and friends and having a blast. I go to a lot of the clubs, restaurants and shows galore. Of course I'm on a mini vacation when I come. We are in the process of buying my home now that we will leave in when we retire in 2-3 years when we are 62 and 63. I keep counting the days!! There is no where else I rather spend my retirement. I have friends who say, but what about the grandkids, blah,blah, blah. (don't get me wrong. All my children and grandchildren are my world)! But they can come visit and have a blast here. Already thinking about what activities I want to do with the grandchildren at the villages camp, etc. Some of these other communities I visited, I think I would shoot myself if I lived there. Some of the older ones even felt like nursing homes. I love the idea that you still feel like you're in a community where you have the young and old all around you. I know some of my friends say, there is so much to do where I live (Long Island, NY). Yes there is .but not to much of a desire . Everything is so , how should I put it, YUCKY! I love the ambiance and feel and beauty of the Villages. Its just so calming and beautiful. I know some people say about rude people etc, but That's everywhere. I work in a great school with mostly great people who are like family. And of course there are a few ****heads!LOL You have to feel sorry for these people because they are so miserable inside that they
don't or can't be happy or pleasant.
Well, that's my take on this! And as I always say, Everyday in the Villages is like a vacation Day!!!
Enjoy life everyone, and cherish yourself and all the positive people in your life too.