View Single Post

Old 03-04-2020, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
Interesting thread. I am getting ready to change my will, giving each of my two children $15000 per year for the remainder of their life, paid in one lump sum yearly. After their death, the remaining funds will then be paid to the grandchildren, the same way. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I havent talked with an attorney on this yet as I have an undetermined inheritance coming to me still so really dont know what my total estate might be.
I believe you need to speak with an Elder Attorney, this is a good link to Attorneys who practice Elder law here in TV : The Villages, FL Elder Law Firms | Lawyers.com

Before we set up our trust and wills I went to many seminars which were very enlightening on the problems people make for themselves when they try to make their own wills etc. One of the main things which I took home from all of these seminars was only leave your estate to your rightful heirs, i.e. the children of the marriage. The reason being is that should there be a divorce, the -in-law can ask for and receive half of your son's/daughter's inheritance. We were also told not to leave money to grandchildren as it is their parents place to take care of their own children. There are many intricacies to leaving money and a good Elder lawyer will steer you in the right direction.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak