View Single Post

Old 03-09-2020, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
If you live in Lake County you can get a recycle bin from the county. Waste Management (the company) recognizes them and will empty them. I don't know how the other counties handle it, or if your CDD pays for trash pickup (we don't have a CDD here in the Historic section).

But this is obviously an issue - why would anyone want to buy "virgin plastic" brand new bags, for the exclusive purpose of collecting recycling? It defeats the purpose. The whole point is to NOT have to use so much virgin plastic. That's why things get recycled. I would suggest maybe the next time you have a CDD meeting, propose a recycling bin program. If Waste Management is handling your pickup, they're already familiar with the process and they do it in communities all over the country. So there would be no logistics problem on their end.

The bins are small, the size of a medium tote box that fits on your pantry closet.floor. Since you're only putting empty boxes and cans and plastics in it, it's lightweight (under 5 pounds usually). So it's easy to get in and out of your house. And since it's only got EMPTY stuff that's been rinsed, you don't have to worry about smells or bugs or vermin, and it doesn't need a liner.

What I do with mine is - if I get paper bags from take-out joints, those become the receptacles for my newspaper and empty, cleaned cat food and other food cans. Large plastic containers (water jugs, iced tea containers, etc) go loose in the bin. That way even a stiff breeze won't blow the smaller things around, AND the paper bag is recyclable so it gets dumped as well. The WM guy just picks the whole thing up, tips it over into his truck, and puts it back down, empty, on the ground where he got it.
Trash cans aren't allowed where we live in Sumter County. And while I am on the subject of trash... I was running close on an appointment when I drove out of the drive way and saw two enormous black birds tearing apart the garbage bag and strewing trash across the driveway and lawn. I didn't stop to pick it up because I would be late, BUT when I returned the people who drive the truck must have walked around the driveway and yard and picked it up. I cannot tell you how much I think of them and well, honor them.