View Single Post

Old 03-10-2020, 09:57 AM
Platinum member

I said it is MY concern, (as a former govt. employee I have witnessed instances where "facts" have been spun) but I'm not speaking for anyone else. However, I feel there has been ample evidence by the administration to downplay the possible severity of the problem because of the impact on the stock market and to protect some industries.

from a Fox News site: Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of tropical medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, this week warned U.S. lawmakers against minimizing the viruses risk for vulnerable people. During a Congressional hearing, he said the coronavirus “is like the angel of death for older individuals.

per Ron DeSantis: “If you’re elderly or you have a serious, underlying medical condition, don’t get on a cruise ship right now. Don’t get on a long flight where you could be exposed to the virus. Take certain steps to do what they call social distancing,” DeSantis said.

So at least DeSantis is going beyond the party line regarding flying. Although the administration denies it, it has been reported (again even on Fox News) that the CDC recommended all seniors not fly if it could be avoided but the White House did not want to say that (and Pence tweeted that was not true)....it's up to everyone to decide which they believe.

heck even Tucker Carlson said this: “People you trust, people you probably voted for, have spent weeks minimizing what is clearly a very serious problem,” Carlson said, later adding, “They’re wrong. The Chinese coronavirus is a major event. It will affect your life, and by the way, it’s definitely not just the flu. In a typical year, the flu in this country has a mortality rate of about 1 in 1000. The overall death rate for this virus, by contrast, is as high as 3.4 percent.”

I'm simply saying that an outbreak here could be devastating....it could easily overwhelm available respirators and ICU beds. Heck the Villages Hospital (per many posts here) has never been a bastion of great care, I can't imagin it over run by critical cases.

but again, I'm motivated by an abundance of caution.

Last edited by Bonnevie; 03-10-2020 at 10:12 AM.