View Single Post

Old 03-10-2020, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
I worked in medical billing and many labs, drs. etc bill the insurance and the patient (known double billing). They say they weren't paid when the were. They sign a contract with the insurance company's stating they will be "participating physicians and will accept what insurance pays" and they still bill the patient and are paid twice for the same service. There is a well-known doctor right here in The Villages that does this with all of his patients. He makes a boat load of money because many of his patients do not understand the double billing and they just pay the bill. How sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
This is not done by mistake. This is done to get you to pay the bill and they also get paid by your medical insurance company.

I don't know where you worked in billing, but in 35 years as a practicing physician I never even heard of any physician, or even lab double billing as a routine practice. If you KNOW a physician is doing this "all the time" and intentionally, report them to CMS or the private insurer if the patient is under 65. But you better be absolutely sure lest you face a huge lawsuit for libel/slander.