View Single Post

Old 03-11-2020, 10:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
I think it's really nice that people feel comfortable sharing their opinions and reasons for not wanting/not needing to be around perfumes, etc........ maybe the next step would be: when around someone who has the stuff on, to caringly say that you are allergic to perfumes and ask that they consider what they are doing when they go into close quarters in public from now on as they might be making someone sick the next day........ I think we need to feel comfortable addressing a situation right when it happens and not feel bad about it. It's ok to say what you need.
Some of them DO consider what they're doing, and do it anyway. Some of them don't consider it, and have no intention to consider it. Some of them are absolutely oblivious to it and don't even know it's a problem. Some people have a reduced sense of smell and wouldn't know that they put on too much.

One might think that if you approach someone who immediately starts wheezing and backs up, it's probably something about you causing it. But if you aren't attentive of your own surroundings in the first place, what makes me think you'd care enough to become attentive after I told you it was bothering me?

Too many people have a sense of entitlement - it's a free country and perfume is legal, therefore they don't owe you fresh air and they are free to dive into a vat of Chanel if that's what floats their boat. The cigar smoke bothers you downwind on the sidewalk cafe table while you're trying to eat? Tough noogies - it's a free country, try sitting upwind next time, or eat inside where all "you nonsmokers" go.

No one should HAVE to ask someone drenched in cologne to stop being drenched in cologne.