View Single Post

Old 03-12-2020, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
that might be based on the time you are first checked by ER staff. I have personally been with people who waited hours for beds and who told there were beds but there is a lack of staff. at that time there were multiple patients on beds in the halls of the ER. although my friend was in ER from ambulance, I'm sure her official wait time was low, but she did not see a practitioner for several hours. Another friend of mine with stage 4 metastatic breast cancer was sent to leesburg for admission.....waited from about 10am until 9pm sitting in waiting room. Patient advocate said could not give time for bed to be available.

now these are anecdotal incidents, but I trust my own experiences over published waiting times and I feel several people here can share similar stories.
You're right, they ARE anecdotal. And I can share stories across tens of thousands of ER encounters, some not so good, most pretty average, and a lot spectacular, so what. I have a problem with the statement "trust my own experience"---it is limited compared to the thousands of data points that go into the published numbers
Please avoid any physician who states "in my experience", I'm more interested in the evidence based medicine that should be practiced.