View Single Post

Old 03-13-2020, 08:14 AM
Gold member
Default Social Distancing....in the doctors office?

With the constant barrage of messaging about the Corona Virus i.e. Washing hands frequently, do not touch your face, do not shake hands and social distancing at a recommended 3-6 feet I must admit to being a little nervous at a dermatologists office yesterday where patients, including me were getting minor surgery. The surgery for most includes a minor but invasive procedure and waiting in the office with an open wound while a lab test is performed to see if the cancer has been entirely removed.

The reason for my belated concern ....I just never thought about it until I got home.....was that there were so many patients that the small room holding the post op patients, at times we did not have adequate seating and all the patients are seated inches away from each other with open wounds. Indeed the larger waiting room has seats so close you have to be careful not to rub knees your fellow patient. Curious that while there were signs in the office for washing and shaking hands etc., there were no signs for social distancing.

I do not mean this post to be critical of any single doctor...and I will not mention the doctors name.... since this could be commonplace among a lot of doctors but I am surprised at the lack of messaging from the medical community with regards to the social distancing efforts either being employed or suggested at Doctors offices.

If possible, please view this as a constructive effort for educational comments and if you have an appointment with a doctor, are you concerned about the social distancing at doctors offices?