Thread: Mass Hysteria
View Single Post

Old 03-14-2020, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I know what 7 x 1.8 is. I also know what a Philadelphia lawyer is.

My point is why take this lightly. Let's get this straight immediately - I am not promoting hysteria in the least. But this sort of thing could (I said could) spread exponentially. Why not take precaution now. Some people are a lot more concerned about their investments than the health of mankind. Wonderful motivators fear and greed.

The Italian prime minister showed a graph of how quickly the cases multiplied Italy.He also overlaid other countries on that graph which have surprisingly similar curves at the early stages they are at. His point was do the isolationism before it overpowers the health care system. He said technology wise are probably able to save the lives of almost every case but it requires tools like ventilators. They are having to make some hard choices of who gets what treatment.

That's no different than here. You all complain about the tremendous waits at TV ER. Can you imagine the care you won't get if this is a true epidemic. Thus why not be a little conservative now rather than sighting some very low statistics and call this a made up conspiracy ?

And that is why I think 1918 to 2020 is apples and oranges.
I don't really disagree with your posts (other than 1.8 x 7 =7.8)
I was responding to the Dr. Lawler's estimate of 485,000 deaths being conservative:

It is an idiotic estimate at this time, so I have to believe the NY Times either accidentally or deliberately misquoted him or took it out of context, the person who posted it was confused, or this guy is really the Village Idiot of the CDC----you pick

Last edited by golfing eagles; 03-14-2020 at 08:18 AM.