View Single Post

Old 03-17-2020, 11:58 AM
Veteran member

I would definitely consider future resale if you think that could happen in the next several years.

Our first house in TV had very nice engineered hardwood in the living/dining space and old carpeting elsewhere. We got a several thousand dollar credit to replace the carpeting. I wanted to put vinyl plank in the entire house. Floor guy (and hubby) talked me into keeping the hardwood because it was in good condition and would have cost $4,000 JUST TO REMOVE IT. (Large home and it was glued down.) So I found a very nice waterproof vinyl plank with a stone appearance that looked okay with the wood.

A year later I decide I want to live closer to my sister. (I know, I know ... ) We got a fair number of comments from potential buyers that they didn't like the two types of flooring. They wanted consistent flooring throughout. (Watch a few HGTV shows and it is obvious that this is what most buyers want nowadays.) Would we have sold the place more quickly if I had done what I wanted before we moved in? Who knows. But with 20/20 hindsight I wish I had replaced the hardwood when I had the chance.

I never considered replacing the old carpeting with new carpeting. I HATE CARPETING! When we bought our current house last Fall the first thing I did was have all the flooring, including bathrooms, replaced with vinyl plank. Love it!

Just my two cents.

kathy