View Single Post

Old 03-19-2020, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
I live in a village served by the Rio Grande Postal Station and visit there most every day.

For approximately a year, I have noticed and discussed with my neighbors the situation where the VDC, in concert with the VACG, intends to expand the gun range. I enjoy a walk through the field adjacent to the gun range as the field is a natural habitat for the eagles and the gopher tortoise population, both protected Florida species.

I understand that a section of the field was sold to the VDC for the project. I have seen the surveyor's stakes.

Now, we are advised that construction will begin on March 23rd and that entry is prohibited to "this area".

All of this has occurred with an expenditure of "our" Amenity Fee funds, to the sum of $466,386.00.

I call on the VDC and the VACG to put this project on hold.

During this time of national emergency. wouldn't the money be better spent helping others?

Here is my suggestion.

The VDC starts a not for profit operation that delivers items and food to the shut-ins, infirm and needy in The Villages. The VDC and volunteers can use their vast business, organizational, and technology talents to ramp-up this venture ASAP.

A portion of the one-half million dollars could provide income to the wage earners whose lively hood has been affected by the closings. Some could collect the items, others could do the delivery, a few would handle the calls and emails. Only those aid recipients would be served after being verified from a home visit or a doctor's affidavit.

Think of the goodwill to both the VDC and the VACG from the positive press received.

And, VDC, think of the tax benefits.
Why are you walking in an environmental nesting area in the first place