Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 11-12-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Bad news for dark hair dye users. Good medical research has recently concluded that dark hair color is indeed a carcinogen and the occurence of lymphoma is increased by 28% in those woman who have used dark dyes since 1981. Helene colors her hair and we just discussed yesterday her going blonde.

When she came off chemo the oncologist said to NOT dye her hair for two years after and I was so frightened I didn't ask any questions. Now I am concerned again.

Has anyone else read that paper? It was published recently.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/578427
Well, GG, this is certainly not good news. I had been coloring my hair dark for several years, but in Oct '04 I stopped and let my hair go back to it's natural state. I had heard that dark dye was carcinogenic, and I thought it was a good time to stop since I was retiring the end of that year and moving to FL shortly thereafter. Well, I've been grey now for 4 years, but I really got so tired of the unmanageability of my hair, and tired of how the color seemed to make me look "washed out". Since I hadn't heard any more negative reports about dark hair dye, I decided I'd go back and take those extra 10 years off by coloring my hair again. In fact, I just did it again earlier this afternoon. Then I came on here and look what I've found! Boy oh boy, not good. I guess you've helped me make another decision. Time to put the bottle down (hair dye, silly, not that!) Thank you for letting us know that the dangers are real and do still exist. Having lost both parents to different types of cancers, the warning has been heard loud and clear! Thanks, GG!