View Single Post

Old 03-23-2020, 11:55 AM
Default Rental Cancellations due to Coronavirus: Owners - what would you do?

We are renters and have been doing so for five years now. This year is no different when we signed our 2020 contract last fall. We rented this year for two months, May-June, paid in full way before the coronavirus outbreak. I contacted the owner yesterday giving them my concerns about staying in The Villages during this time while the virus is still rampant. Our contract is fairly standard - no refunds unless the home can be re-rented for the same period. Trip insurance does not cover pandemics. I know that all activities, pools and restaurants are closed now for an indefinite period of time. Basically, he reminded me of the cancellation policy, he doubts it will re-rent given the current siutation (obviously), personally he would go himself and the current renters are very happy to be self quarantined in FL. He has offered to shift our dates a few weeks. So, from this I take it he is not willing to refund our two months rent, however, he did not say "no refund", just let's stay in touch... a wait and see approach. This will be the second year renting from this owner and it has been a very positive experience. There is no way to predict what the coming months will be like. All I know is today. I see from this forum a few owners have willingly, without question given refunds. One owner said the "it was a no brainer". No need to explain the business side for the owners - I know it and get it...just like all the other small businesses across America that are in trouble due to the coronavirus. These are not normal times. Appreciate your thoughts.