View Single Post

Old 03-23-2020, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,520 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybill2 View Post
Guess I don't like to word "bailout" used when talking about airlines, cruise lines, etc. These industries are not responsible for what is happening to them. Not a result of bad decisions on their part. As far as the Cruise lines are concerned ---I don't know exact numbers---but I am sure they employ thousands at the US Cruise Terminals that they sail from. Plus they buy supplies at these US ports. I hope there will be some way to help citizens and businesses at the same time. Both are important to our economy.
Regarding the cruise lines - they do NOT PAY TAXES to the USA. The companies themselves - do not pay taxes for those ships that harbor in the USA - because the ships are registered under foreign flags. The money that -would- go to them, if approved, would be money collected from American taxpayers.

I love taking cruises. I'd love to take some more of them. But if they aren't allowed to sail from our shores right now, then they are NOT buying supplies from these US ports, and those thousands of employees will be laid off or terminated, due to lack of work. They are grossly underpaid, so their unemployment benefits will be minimal.

If you bail out the cruise ships, which can't go anywhere or pick up passengers or buy supplies, then those employees will get NOTHING from the bail out. They will still be out of work, the supply companies will still not get revenue for NOT supplying the ships that aren't going anywhere.

There is absolutely no reason to funnel a cent of taxpayer money into any of these cruise lines.