View Single Post

Old 03-24-2020, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,299 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Really??? Didn't know that. Must have missed that day in medical school, and internship, and residency, and in 35 years of practice.
Actually, if you are interested, I can give you a list of immunocompromised states. You won't find type 2 diabetes on it.
I think your textbook needs an update. Used to be Type 1 was known for compromised immune systems. But in the last ten years studies are also showing Type 2 compromise also. I just completed a 4 session course here in TV by a PA whose entire career was diabetes related field. That's what they are teaching now. In my case it's immaterial since I am immune compromised from other ailments. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

The lesson went something like
"Type 2 diabetes is now a worldwide epidemic, strongly correlated with an elevated incidence of obesity. Obesity-associated adipose tissue inflammation is a major cause of the decreased insulin sensitivity seen in type 2 diabetes. Recent studies have shed light on the crosstalk between the immune system and organismal metabolism"

I don't pretend to understand it.

Last edited by rustyp; 03-24-2020 at 07:34 PM.