View Single Post

Old 03-26-2020, 08:48 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default All dividends are not created equal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
to the recent past, the yield will be about 30% on your investment. . . always diversify, but that's where lots of smart money is going.

sportsguy
Perhaps I am a mere bumpkin, not at all savvy about REITs. But my gut says a simple “No.”

I do not think I would want to own commercial property at this point or even in the future. Look around. Too many moving parts.

Will this telecommuting thing catch on more after we get through this crisis?

Even telemedicine might become more of a norm.

What about the gaping maw of empty commercial property that we see in ‘burbs across the country? In-person retail has been suffering for years.

How long could those big dividends be sustained?

Everything is taking a huge hit right now. But will REITs be able to make much of a comeback? If any?

Question: Am I correct that dividends from REITS are not taxed in the same way as dividends from other dividend-paying stocks? Aren’t dividends from REITs taxed the same as regular income — without the tax advantage that other dividends get?

(I have not thought about or read about REITs for years so I could be remembering wrong about the tax thing.)

Disclaimer:

I have no letters after my name that have anything to do with finance. My opinion on the stock market is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Last edited by Boomer; 03-26-2020 at 08:58 AM.