View Single Post

Old 03-27-2020, 09:32 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I am not sure of your definition of aggressively testing. IMO the US is still actively avoiding aggressively testing and has in place a policy of very selectively testing only the most ill patients. And even with that policy there are still shortages of test kits, testing sites. In Italy they are doing mass testing of everyone in some regions. Not just the symptomatic but those who have absolutely no symptoms. That defines aggressive testing. South Korea had walk in testing for everyone, no doctor's order. That is aggressive testing.
Here, you need a doctor's order to have private testing done. The doctor must collect the sample unless you happen to have a mobile lab set up for a few days in your polo field. Most doctors are NOT collecting samples.
But the point is, the US is among the most restrictive in testing both because of the way our health care system is organized, the still great shortage of testing kits and sites. Do you really believe that if today you developed a sore throat and mild runny nose that there is anyplace you could get a Covid test easily done?
If there is anything about testing rates in the US, it is how unaggressive or unprepared we have been so far. I have a distant relative in rural Ohio, in bed with 102 fever and respiratory symptoms. She has been told she does not need testing. No test for her. There have been no reported cases in her rural county. Do you see why?
Are other countries less prepared than the US, certainly. Are other countries struggling with lack of testing, certainly. Are countries fudging their numbers.. I don't know.

Things are improving as to test kits and in terms of people and leaders taking this much more seriously than they did 2 weeks ago. Both of those attitude adjustments will help. But we have certainly not changed the approach from very selective testing to anything aggressive. When you get that phone call from someone you ate with last week who now has cold symptoms and you ask, "Did you get a Covid test?", you know that it is very likely the answer will be "I called my doctor and I don't qualify." So now you're in the dark about that potential exposure. Then it won't seem like we're aggressively testing anymore.
I guess you have missed the news reports of drive up testing at many sites; including The Villages. True that there are spot shortages in some hot spots and only those that are truly symptomatic are being tested. Several labs and universities have developed tests that can show results in as little as 30 minutes.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else