Thread: CDC Flu numbers
View Single Post

Old 03-28-2020, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Great post, ChoroSwing (excerpted here). Perfect example of how terrified some people are. And I couldn't agree with you more that TV news shows are to blame. That's right - "they give the people what they want" so they'll continue to watch the advertisements. But that raises the question, why do people want to be frightened? Are we that starved for entertainment? The grossly exaggerated weather reports you cite are a classic example. Hurricane coverage is another. I for one refuse to be manipulated by TV news so I don't watch it. Ever. I get news from other less sensationalistic sources.

All that said---(Other posters please note I'm stating this up front so no need to lecture this info back at me.) The fatality rate of Covid-19 is much higher than the flu and way more contagious, so we do need to take common sense precautions. I did some quick calculations from the posted data and flu's lethality rate using both ranges is way less than 1%. It appears, for now anyway, Covid's is somewhere around 3%. Granted the Covid statistic could adjust downward quite a bit as more and more people are tested.
With such serious allegations you are making, I am assuming that there will be an edit to your post allowing specific examples of what you say......that the media ""they give the people what they want" so they'll continue to watch the advertisements."

I will look forward to substantiation for such serious allegations that you are making.

Some networks are dispensing advice on medication which I find VERY SERIOUS are ignored by you....I find that interesting.

To be fair they are not dispensing this as part of a news program, but it is irresponsible and I hope nobody in your family takes their advice....call your doctor.

But anyway...serious allegations require substantiation.

On the weather which is not the subject of the thread, but suggest you read a bit as to why....safety....for the most part. Maybe never helped you but the hyper on hurricanes for example has saved many lives and also provided impetus to improve and narrow down those forecasts. They are also a great service to those who provide protection for us.....a huge service. If you get upset at the guy or gal providing that service because it did not affect you, think of the potential lives saved.

Last edited by Bucco; 03-28-2020 at 11:39 AM.