View Single Post

Old 03-28-2020, 07:31 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Not sure if you are limited to historical "fiction", but I generally orient myself to biographies of famous and not so famous business people. The First Tycoon (Corneius Vanderbilt), The Tycoons (Andrew Carnegie, John D Rockefeller, Jay Gould, JP Morgan), TITAN (John D Rockefeller), Meet You in Hell (Andrew Carnegie and henry Clay Frick), Andrrew Carnegie by David Nasaw, Dark Genius of Wall Street (Jay Gould), House of Morgan (JP Morgan) give an interesting overview of the men,often called Robber Barron's that were part of the Gilded Age. As a new Florida Resident, I took interest in Last Train to Paradise, about Henry Flager's (John D's quiet number 2 man at Standard Oil) and his attempt to extend the Southeastern Railway to Key West. Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin is a great look at Lincoln and his 4 key Cabinet Members, none of whom liked each other.

Going further into the 20th centrury .. The Devil's Chessboard about Allen Dulles (John Foster's brother) and the beginnings of the CIA and the SWAMP. Some under the radar books are The Forgotten Man (great Depression) and Coolidge by AMity Shlaes. I was a Jack Welch fan, and Noel Tichy's book on him "Control Your Destiny or Someone Else Will" was a great read. Also a big fan of Ken Langone, the third founder of Home Depot. His more recent book "I Love Capitalism" was a very interesting autobiographical sketch.

If you like Bill O'Reilly (his writing style) , his killing series of books are quick and interesting reads ..

Hope you can find something that you;re interested in here..