View Single Post

Old 04-01-2020, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
I have often been tempted to ask people who are walking in the same direction as traffic if they grew up in a city that had sidewalks everywhere. I did but I remember being taught at a very young age to always walk against traffic if you are in the country and there are no sidewalks.

Here is a real life incentive for you to walk against traffic. Just this afternoon, I was walking in the MMP lane on Rio Grande against traffic. Perfectly clear, beautiful day. I saw a golf cart about a quarter mile away coming towards me. I moved over all the way to the left against the curb even though there was no traffic on the road at all and the golf cart could easily go around me by going in the road. I was wearing red workout shorts and a lime green shirt and I am not a small guy. This guy just kept driving straight toward me. When he got about 20 yards from me I started clapping my hands and yelling at him, he kept coming so I jumped up onto the grass. Finally, when he was maybe 10 feet from me he finally noticed me and swerved into the street. If I had been walking with traffic, I wouldn't have seen this guy coming up from behind and would not have warned him. There is a good possibility he would have run me over.
You was in blind spot, either by glare or mirror or roof support/windshield. If the angle right he didn’t see you till you popped from behind the blind spot.