View Single Post

Old 04-01-2020, 08:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This must be wrong. Church services are gatherings of people and I am sure Governor Desantis would NOT have allowed that. I think almost all churches have stopped having live services around here, anyway. Church services should not be allowed. I don't think God would like us to endanger ourselves and others.
Oh Gracie you know me well enough to realize I wouldn't have made that up.

here is the link to DeSantis's executive order dated April 1st. See page 4 for the description of essential activities, thus still allowed:

Section 3. Essential Activities
A. For purposes of this Order and the conduct it limits, "essential activities" means
and encompasses the following:
I. Attending religious services conducted in churches, synagogues and houses
of worship;
and [my bold]
II. Participating in recreational activities ( consistent with social distancing
guidelines) such as walking, biking, hiking, fishing, hunting, running, or
swimming; and
III. Taking care of pets; and
IV. Caring for or otherwise assisting a loved one or friend.

Note that the requirement for social distancing is not applied to worship.

As an aside, why doesn't it just say houses of worship? Why specify two types of buildings and just lump all others into "houses of worship" ? Didn't want to mention mosques I suppose. Can you attend religious services in a cemetery or a funeral home or a private home such as a Jewish Sedar next week? Or are the only allowed places of worship buildings owned by denominations?