View Single Post

Old 04-02-2020, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dond1959 View Post
From a statistical standpoint the numbers really mean nothing. It bugs me when all these numbers are thrown out and nobody really explains what it means for a specific city. We know NYC, Miami area, Southern California are bad, but what about here in The Villages?

So we are #5 in cases, but we are #3 in population, so is that good or bad? Half of Florida cases are in 3 counties in South Florida, so what does that mean for me living in The Villages?

Instead of focusing on these numbers let’s focus on something we can all identify with and relate to. So if we have 8,000 cases and 21 million in the state that is one in every 2,625 people so far have reported cases. This will rise over time and doesn’t include Non reported mild cases. Let’s look at Sumter County. As of 5:00 pm today 63 cases. With a population around 130,000. That is one case per every 2,063 residents.

At least for me those are numbers I can identify with and helps me assess the risk. Each individual will need to assess the risk and what risk they are willing to take (exercise, golf, grocery, store, etc).
Very true. But large numbers make good headlines.

While it would be near impossible to calculate, I'd love to see a relative risk table of common activities---walking a dog, cycling, golf, grocery shopping, etc. Then you would really be able to assess your risk.