Thread: I’m Over It!
View Single Post

Old 04-03-2020, 12:51 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Many would think as I did, that the poster was wondering if the person who got sick lived on his street or the one over and wondered if he or his wife might have been exposed before we all knew what we know now. People are worried. I don't think the OP was wondering where the case was out of meanness, or pointing the person out like they were a "leper" but just wondering if they came to his woodworking shop or his wife's painting class. People are scared and this is just part of it. Wondering when it will happen to us or our near neighbors and friends. Boomer I know you value anonymity but many of us are not afraid to say who they are. If we got it, I would tell I had it and where I lived. Just out of information and kindness.
But, Gracie, that would be your choice — like Chris Cuomo broadcasting from quarantine in his basement and sharing his experience with anybody who wants to watch.

He is in the position to reach a lot of people to give more information in hope of getting the attention of those who think it cannot happen to them or if it does it will be no big deal.

His symptoms are hellish, even though he is relatively young and healthy.

You state you would be very open, too, motivated to respond by going public, to be kind as a benefit to others, and with an attempt to educate. Like I said — your choice.

I think anyone diagnosed has the choice as an individual as to whether to go public or not. BUT that is very different from expecting home addresses to be published for everyone to see. Not everyone would be kind in their attitudes toward the sick. It could get so intrusive and the fallout could grow arms and legs — the spectrum of human nature being what it is.

Back in Ohio, some areas are publishing by zip code, with the names of the suburbs, but that’s it. I have no problem with that generalized info. But for an outside source to publish someone’s actual address is just plain wrong.

The right to choose to be public or private is built in to our wiring. I am certainly not a hermit, nor am I an introvert. But like most posters on TOTV, I do prefer to remain private about who I really am.

I am not remaining private so that I can be mean. Sometimes I can get a little sassy, but that is rare, and pretty gentle. It is usually because I think someone is being condescending or getting caught up in that “Us vs. Them” mentality that is so destructive and is permeating our country. But I would likely sass that person face-to-face, too, and/or choose not be around them.

Oh well, I gotta be me and you gotta be you.

Stay well and sensible please — all of you.

Sincerely,
Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 04-03-2020 at 06:42 PM.