Thread: New Roofs
View Single Post

Old 04-04-2020, 08:55 AM
Location: Citrus Grove from Village of Santo Domingo & Sterling Hts Michigan
Default No Integerity with American Integerity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
All original roofs, in The Villages, North of 466 are between 17 and 20 years old. Insurance companies, like American Integrity, are refusing to renew or write new homeowners policies unless the roofs are replaced. We have had 2 major wind events in the last year, one last August and then again in early February of this year. Many roofs show damage from those events and may be eligible for an insurance claim.

We did file a claim and, right now, are waiting for the decision from the adjuster who came out and inspected the roof. It's not a given that they will replace the entire roof. In some cases they might only be willing to repair the obvious damage. It's kind of a crap shoot. We are working with a roofer, who was present when the inspection was made and was able to point out the issues he had observed.

If all goes well, and the need for replacement is confirmed, we'll just be responsible for our $1000 deductible. If not, it's a 15k to 20k job.

The bottom line is, everybody whose home was built North of 466, and still has the original roof, will need to replace it in the next 3 years or so. Start budgeting accordingly.
Good luck, but we went this, American Integerity as of Jan. 2019 added a exclusion for roofs that in short only covers shingles that were damaged. The problem is on older roofs the shingles aren’t pliable so when repairing the wind damaged shingles nearby older shingles break and those aren’t covered by American Integerity ( one of the ONLY Insurance Companies that have this exclusions ).

I was forced to choose American Integerity because they were the only company that would insure a home with a roof over 15 years old. I was prepared and going to replace my roof this year (19 years old), but there was some wind damage so we filed a claim. Not insurance fraud real damage, our claim was approved but for replacement of the shingles that were damaged not including additional shingles that would break.

So I replaced my roof, canceled American Integerity and got an insurance company with Integerity.