View Single Post

Old 04-04-2020, 05:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Some posters seem to think it's okay for a government official, in this case the govenor, to enact a freeze or ban or pause on citizens constitutional rights to freedom of religion. What would be next? One govenor bans freedom of the press, another bans citizens from speaking about the virus, another announces confiscation of weapons from homes during this dangerous crisis. Once the first ball drops, this violation of rights would never end.
Personally, I don't think any gathering of any group is okay, church or other. But if we want to spit in the face of our very, very smart founders and start violating whatever article or ammendment to the Constitution we deem disposable, this country is not going to be in a good place.
Shutting down churches is not a freeze ban or pause on freedom of religion. You can pray to your chosen deity at home, in your back yard, online at a streaming church service conducted by the pastor, who is in isolation at the church itself. You can go to a park bench and worship your chosen deity there. You can worship your chosen deity while in your car - stationary or driving.

There is nothing about a church that facilitates your ability - or inability - to worship your chosen deity. It's function is to provide a building for people to congregate and worship together.

It's the congregating part that's the problem, during an epidemic. Not the worshiping. Go, worship. You have my blessings. If your deity is anything like the traditional biblical christian god, then your deity already knows what you want, what you're thankful for, and that you are devoted to it.

If you need a congregation and a building with all the trappings in order to worship, I would sincerely suggest you look into the opportunity to worship a more understanding, generous, loving, and humane deity.