View Single Post

Old 04-04-2020, 06:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts
Default Why I stopped playing golf

Note: I normally play golf 4-5 times a week, love the game, am very skilled at it, and it's my main form of entertainment/exercise. This is not meant to tell others what to do.

So a couple of weeks ago I had an appointment with my Cardiologist. It was routine, nothing major going on. My Doctor is also an avid golfer, so I asked him if he was still playing. He said no, not worth the risk, even if very small. He explained to me that the virus was very contagious, and even though golf is a low risk activity, its catchable almost anywhere. But Doc, I said, I play by myself, not in a group, I wear golf gloves on both hands!

Yes I understand he said, its low risk but not zero risk. You could walk thru a sneeze cloud of infected individual a minute or two after. An infected individual could sneeze on the tee box or green in a group in front of you. Your ball picks up virus, gets on your gloves, you scratch your forehead, you are sweating, virus rolls down to your eyes, nose, mouth. Yes risk is minimal, but not even close to zero. Doctor basically told me to avoid all contact with people, get delivery or pickup of groceries, and lower all risks.

I've read many first person accounts of this virus, from people 20-30 year younger than me, and its like the flu on steroids. I hate even the regular flu, so I don't want this.

So I'm Howard Hughes now. Stay safe

Last edited by GoodLife; 04-04-2020 at 07:22 PM.